One Pot Chicken & Chick Pea Tagine (serves 6)
This is a super tasty and satisfying one pot wonder. A nutritionally balanced meal all in the one pot, what’s not to love? And, if there’s any left over, it tastes even better the following day so don’t be afraid to get two dinners out of the one cooking session! Packed with quality protein, gut loving fibre, anti-oxidant vitamins and anti-inflammatory spices!
4 chicken breast, cut into large chunks
1tbsp harissa paste
1tbsp olive oil
1 onion, cut into chunks
1 red pepper, cut into chunks
2 carrots, cut into thick half moons
2 garlic cloves, minced
6 baby potatoes, quartered
80g (large handful) of green beans (cut off top & bottom)
1tsp ground cumin
½ tsp chilli flakes
1 tin chopped tomatoes
200ml chicken stock
½ cup dried apricots, quartered
1 tin chickpeas, rinsed & drained
2tbsp. of fresh mint/flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
Note: if you like a tagine a little sweeter, you could add 1 tsp honey towards end of cooking time
- Mix the harissa past through the chunks of chicken. If you have time, ideally set the chicken aside for at least 30 mins to allow the flavours to develop while you prep the vegetables and potatoes.
- Once you’ve prepped all your vegetables, heat the oil in a large pot or casserole dish. Fry the chicken for a few minutes until sealed then remove from the pot and set aside.
- Fry the onion, pepper and carrot for a few minutes, then stir in the minced garlic and all the spices and fry for another 2 minutes. (take care not to burn the garlic)
- Add the chicken back to the dish, stir to combine then pour in the tomatoes and stock.
- Add the apricots and green beans and nestle in the potato chunks so they are submerged under the mixture.
- Bring to a boil then simmer for about 30 minutes until the potato and carrot are tender.
- Towards the end of cooking time, stir in the chick peas and fresh mint/parsley.
- Serve piping hot as it is or alongside a small portion of couscous or rice.