Feel Good Healthy Granola bars (makes approx. 12 bars)
Benefits (aside from being yummy!)
- Lower sugar content than most shop bought granola bars/flapjacks/breakfast bars
- High in mood & energy boosting vitamins & minerals
- Provide a slow, steady release of energy – great for warding off an afternoon slump
- Make for a filling mid-morning or mid-afternoon snack instead of biccies or scones
- High in fibre for a healthy digestive system
- Rich in hearty healthy fats
- All natural ingredients
- Kids love them
- You can use any combination of nuts/seeds/dried fruit you like!
250g porridge oats
50g hazelnuts (chopped or blitzed in processor)
2 tbsp seeds (I use sunflower, pumpkin and linseed combo)
50g dried fruit (I use raisins and chopped dried apricot)
50g dessicated coconut (optional)
125g coconut oil
3 large tbsp. honey
½ tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- Pre-heat oven to 175°C.
- Weigh out and put each of the dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl.
- Gently melt the coconut oil in a saucepan over a low heat. Stir in the honey and vanilla.
- Make a hole in the middle of dry ingredients and slowly pour in the wet ingredients mixing thoroughly as you go so that everything is well combined.
- Pour the mixture onto a baking tray/tin (approx. 30cm X 20cm tray) lined with parchment paper and smooth out flat with the back of a spoon.
- Place tray in the centre of oven and bake for 20 to 25 minutes until a light golden brown.
- Remove and allow to cool in tray for 30 minutes. Cut into individual bars and store in an air tight container. Enjoy 🙂