PMS Chocolate Brownies – Elsa on 2FM The Nicky Byrne Show With Jenny Greene
So, some of you may have heard me on RTE 2FM recently where I was on The Nicky Byrne Show with Jenny Greene speaking about nutrition to alleviate PMS and how we can learn to overcome emotional eating & comfort eating.
As part of the conversation we chatted about a fun news story from the US where a baker from Washington called Devon Loft has started selling & delivering baked goods with ingredients that are thought to alleviate symptoms of PMS. One of her most popular recipes from her Moon Cycle Bakery is a chocolate hazelnut brownie AKA ‘The Period Brownie’ which tastes a heck of a lot nicer than it sounds I promise! It contains a variety of nutrients associated with hormone balance & mood boosting properties.
So as promised here is one (of many) versions of the famed Chocolate PMS Brownies (slightly tweaked by me) for you to try out, I cant promise it will eradicate your PMS but it will certainly give your mood & taste buds a little boost and everyone deserves a treat now and again! Just don’t overdo them as they are calorie dense as well as nutrient dense!
For general health & weight management, you can read more about the 80:20 diet principle that’s the ethos behind my Perfect Balance Plan - an online nutrition & weight loss program which helps you live the 80:20 lifestyle with ease and deals with emotional eating & cravings. More info in video below:
PMS Chocolate Brownies (makes 8)
An indulgent but nutritious treat contain mood boosting nutrients
- 100g dark chocolate, chopped (70% cacao content)
- 4 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup almond flour
- 2 Tbsp. cacao powder
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 3/4 cup chopped hazelnuts
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Line an 8 x 8 baking tray with parchment paper or grease with coconut oil.
2. In a small saucepan, melt the dark chocolate and coconut oil over low heat until smooth. Stir through the vanilla extract and maple syrup then remove from heat and set aside to cool.
3. Add the beaten eggs to the chocolate mixture and lightly hand whisk until smooth.
4. Place the dry ingredients into a separate bowl i.e. the almond flour, cacao, baking soda, and salt.
5. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredient and mix until well combined, then fold through the chopped hazelnuts.
6. Pour the mixture into your baking tin and smooth the surface. Bake at 180 degrees for 25 minutes, or until edges are set and the centre is still slightly underdone. (The centre will set as it cools.) Slice into squares and serve.
Elsa Jones is a qualified Nutritional Therapist & Author of Bestselling book ‘Goodbye Sugar’ available in book shops and on Amazon UK